Join us on a train journey back in time.
Your journey with the railway starts at Bedale Station. Nestled on the outside of a tight curve in the line, this station has served the bustling market town of Bedale for well over 150 years. Before you board your Pacer Diesel train, why not have breakfast or a lovely cake in the ‘Platform One’ tea room at the station. From here you will travel Eastwards to the engineering and operational hub of the railway at Leeming Bar. This beautiful Victorian Station has been the beneficiary of much attention and National Lottery money in the last two years and you have the choice to either alight here or continue down the line to Scruton, where you will step back into the Edwardian times.
At Scruton you can visit the fully restored and multi award winning station building, including the piggery and Tram Shed workshop in the back garden. grab a drink or ice cream in ‘Percy’s’ the platform shop. You can also spend some time visiting the “Thankful Village” of Scruton itself which is a delight, you will be handed a leaflet showing walks and the places of interest in the village and do take advantage of the 10% off offer for railway passengers eating at The Coore Arms – do not worry about missing a return train, as we are running an hourly service.
For a small village there is quite a lot to see and do in Scruton. The visitors leaflet will guide you around.
There are a number of short walks centered on the village pub, these can give you an excuse for a dink or a meal or help burn some calories after your lunch !
When you do return, if you havent already done so, visit Leeming Bar and see the extent of the restoration work carried out and how plans are evolving and history is being brought back to life here as well, but this time, it is the 1920s!
All tickets are Rovers, so you can book on your outward service from Bedale but board the train at Leeming or Bedale, if you fancy a walk you can board at Scruton but it is a typical victorian rural station so has no car parking facilities. Travel on any service up and down the line get on and off where you want, or stay on and simply enjoy the ride.
The Richmond Connection
Thanks to our friends at Dales Bus you can now use their 829 Bus on a Sunday to travel from Richmond to Bedale station for free if you have a valid Wensleydale Railway ticket for that day. Simply book your rail ticket online to travel on the 13:50 train from Bedale and return to Bedale on the 14:30 train from Scruton, there is even time for a cream tea or all day breakfast at Platform One in Bedale.
Have Lunch in Scruton
The Coore Arms, Scruton is pleased to offer 10% discount on food orders to passengers of the Wensleydale Railway upon presentation of their Heritage service ticket.
Tables must be pre-booked by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01609 748 215
Health & Safety
After a lot of planning refresher training and Covid safe preparation the Wensleydale Railway is ready to give visitors a great day out. The safety of staff and passengers is our number one priority and much detailed work has gone into reopening.
- The Wensleydale Railway has been awarded We’re Good To Go certification by the visit England tourism body for demonstrating our heritage railway has met the required competence level with Covid preparation and precautions to keep staff and the public safe.
- All trains and stations on the Wensleydale Railway are sprayed with long life anti-bacteria spray.
- All ticket and buffet sales areas have screens in place.
- Trains will be cleaned, wiped regularly throughout the day.
- For the safety of your fellow passengers and our team, if you are visiting the railway in the coming weeks we kindly request that you wear a mask indoors or when on the train.
- Hand sanitiser stations are in use at all stations.
- Wellness Checks - Employees receive daily wellness checks to ensure they are healthy and symptom-free. If you or anyone in your group is experiencing symptoms, we will work directly with you to cancel or reschedule your trip.