Summer Appeal 2023
Wensleydale Railway Association (Trust) Ltd (Reg. No. 1088324) working with Wensleydale Railway Plc
Will you support our maintenance and improvement plans?
Please support the maintenance and improvement of our railway and help us to secure its future for the next generation to enjoy!
What’s the problem?
Our railway is the longest heritage line in the UK. We have 22 miles of track and infrastructure to maintain. We also need to invest in projects that will improve the railway’s future. This creates a considerable financial and operational burden for our small volunteer-led team to manage. We are committed to improving our railway and securing its future but we need your help.
Fencing & Gates
We are responsible for 44 miles of lineside fencing. Keeping this in good condition to discourage trespass & maintain safety is essential to our continued operation. We also have over 40 footpaths, public road crossings & private vehicle crossings to maintain. This work must continue even on parts of the line that see only occasional traffic. Some current projects include:
- Replacing field fencing at several locations.
- New crossing deck and fencing at Aiskew.
- Repair & replacing foot crossing stiles & gates.
- Replacing one crossing gate at Bedale.
- Relaying & replacing the Primrose User Worked Crossing.
We have to maintain 22 miles of railway including the track, drainage, earthworks & structures, and all except five of the bridges. Maintenance work is continuous, and major works must be carried out from time to time. Some current projects include:
- A major survey of all bridges and structures to identify work required and establish priorities.
- Major drainage work to restore services towards Redmire.
- 400 replacement wooden sleepers to be installed between Leyburn and Wensley.
- Installation of points & construction of an ash pit at Leeming Bar – the latter to support future
Many of the buildings along the line have to be maintained as part of our Network Rail lease. Some are let to tenants; others used by the railway for operational purposes such as the crossing keepers’ facilities at Finghall. Other buildings are owned by the PLC or the Trust. All of these need to be kept in good condition. Some projects include:
- Upgrading Redmire facilities to coincide with the projected return of services.
- Remedial work to Finghall station building and repair/upgrading of the let property.
- Match-funding the grant for the reconstruction of the East Herts signal box at Constable
- Improving Leeming Bar catering facilities.
Education, Heritage & Community
The Trust’s charitable objects include providing education and information on our railway’s history and conserving railway heritage for the public benefit. Some projects include:
- Developing heritage education & schools visits programmes.
- Community engagement programmes.
- Supporting marketing & advertising.
- Acquisition of heritage materials & artefacts.
We welcome any donation, either one-off or regular. No matter the size, we greatly appreciate your support.
Wensleydale Railway Association (Trust) Limited, Sort code: 82-62-13, Account number: 20144508
Please make payable to “WRA(T)” and send to:
The Treasurer WRA(T)
56 Thorpe Lane
Huddersfield, HD5 8TA
We would appreciate it if you would also complete the donation form attached to the downloadable brochure below (for our records and to claim Gift Aid) and post it with your cheque, or email it to: email@example.com