Title: General Manager, Wensleydale Railway plc
Type of Employment: Permanent Contract
Start Date: 1st December 2021.
Hours of Work: 40 hrs per week
Salary: Negotiable (depending on experience)
Reports to: The Board of WR plc Ltd
Based at: Leeming Bar
The Wensleydale Railway is one of Yorkshire’s leading heritage railways running through the heart of the Dales. The Line celebrates its 20th year of operation in 2022. The Line consists of two organizations which work together to deliver a visitor attraction. The Wensleydale Railway plc operates the railway on a day-to-day basis managing all staff (paid and volunteer), train operations, engineering, and commercial activities. The plc works closely with the Wensleydale Railway Association Trust which is a registered charity with a shareholding in the Company and owning some of the assets used in the operation of the railway. The Trust manages the recruitment of the highly valued volunteer and membership base and funds a variety of projects undertaken by the plc that further its charitable aims. The GM will have the opportunity to build on and significantly develop our operations and infrastructure for future generations. The railway seeks to grow its visitor numbers particularly at times other than the already very successful events on our calendar. In broad terms the WR has approximately 6 paid staff (some part time), some 200 active registered volunteers and 340 registered in total.
The current General Manager is stepping down from the post from the end of October to retire.
This is a challenging and rewarding role and a great opportunity for someone who will have suitable managerial experience in a similar or related voluntary, heritage organisation. Whilst a railway background is desirable it is not essential. We are looking for someone with proven commercial, event management and business skills, as well as the character and personality to actively promote and develop the railway. The successful applicant will also need to be able to drive through change whilst protecting and preserving the railway’s heritage and respecting and valuing the vital role of our volunteers.
A key aspect of future success for the railway is fully harnessing the potential of our volunteers and the GM will be responsible for ensuring that all plans and objectives explicitly acknowledge this need.
The GM will be the senior member of the Railway’s staff and will report to the WR plc Board of directors. The GM’s own direct reports will include the managers of Marketing, Finance, Engineering, Infrastructure, Operations, Catering and Retail. The GM will lead these teams ensuring that they collectively drive towards the commercial goals of the company.
This role will be the key interface of the railway with the Office of Road and Rail (ORR)
Whilst this role is nominally a 40-hour week, during the peak times the railway is a 7 day operation, and a degree of weekend working will be required. The GM will be ‘hands on’ and therefore a positive attitude and flexibility whilst maintaining sight of the bigger objectives is essential.
We are looking for a self-driven, conscientious person with a positive outlook, having a clear focus on high quality, detail and sympathetic to the value and significance of our railway heritage. The job holder will be a natural forward planner who can critically assess the activity, productivity and output of their teams. They will be a conscientious, reliable people person who is able to work with and lead their teams and engage with volunteers. As the team leader, the General Manager will be the representative of the Wensleydale Railway: able to get on with others, be a team-player and fully safety aware.
Specific Job Skills:
The job holder will fulfil the following requirements:
Education & Qualifications
• Higher level education.
• Qualifications in an appropriate discipline
• Degree level or equivalent
• Professional Qualification in Marketing
• Holder of a Health & Safety Qualification e.g., IOSH or NEBOSH
• Holder of or be prepared to study for a First Aid qualification.
• Proven management leadership skills
• Proven track record in a commercial environment
• Marketing experience
• appropriate experience of managing diverse teams
• Proven track record in motivating staff at all levels
• Experience of setting targets and appraising staff
• Understanding of the importance of a safety critical environment.
• Experience at a commensurate level within a railway environment.
• Appropriate experience of managing projects
• Experience in a heritage railway environment or equivalent organisation
• Experience of managing volunteer staff
• Knowledge of regulation in a railway environment
• Experience of delivering external communications over a wide range of media Skills, Abilities & Knowledge
• Ability to demonstrate advanced organisational skills
• Ability to prioritise, work under pressure and deliver to agreed deadlines
• Confidence in using MS Office, particularly Excel and Word
• Competence in writing reports, able to communicate technical information to readers at all levels
• Good oral presentation skills
• Proven track record in financial management and budgeting against specific project targets and within overall funding availability.
• Demonstrable ability to monitor project progress in physical and financial terms using MS Office, particularly Excel and Word
• Familiarity with and a user of social media such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
• Able to uphold and promote the vision, values, and the Code of Conduct of the organisation.
• Able to travel independently around the local area.
• A good ‘people’ person
• Will be subject to a Disclosure & Barring Service check.
• A good communicator who enjoys working with people of all ages and all backgrounds.
• Flexible approach to working hours recognising the need for some evening and weekend working during special events and in the event of emergencies
Apply via: email@example.com