Join us on a train journey back in time.
Your journey with the railway starts at Bedale Station. Nestled on the outside of a tight curve in the line, this station has served the bustling market town of Bedale for well over 150 years. From here you will travel Eastwards to the engineering and operational hub of the railway at Leeming Bar. This beautiful Victorian Station has been the beneficiary of much attention and National Lottery money in the last two years, and whilst you can alight here, we recommend staying on board and traveling down the line to Scruton to best appreciate the heritage of the railway, starting there in Edwardian times.
At Scruton you can visit the fully restored and multi award winning station building, including the piggery and Tram Shed workshop in the back garden. You can also spend some time visiting the “Thankful Village” of Scruton itself which is a delight, you will be handed a leaflet showing walks and the places of interest in the village and do take advantage of the 10% off offer for railway passengers eating at The Coore Arms – do not worry about missing a return train, as we are running an hourly service.
For a small village there is quite a lot to see and do in Scruton. The visitors leaflet will guide you around.
There are a number of short walks centered on the village pub, these can give you an excuse for a dink or a meal or help burn some calories after your lunch !
When you do return, make sure to get off the train at Leeming Bar and see the extent of the restoration work carried out and how plans are evolving and history is being brought back to life here as well, but this time, it is the 1920s! The buffet will be open for drinks and snacks and on presentation of your ticket you can avail of £1 off any hot drink.
Have Lunch in Scruton
The Coore Arms, Scruton is pleased to offer 10% discount on food orders to passengers of the Wensleydale Railway upon presentation of their Heritage service ticket.
Tables must be pre-booked by email to email@example.com or call 01609 748 215
Health & Safety
After a lot of planning refresher training and Covid safe preparation the Wensleydale Railway is ready to give visitors a great day out. The safety of staff and passengers is our number one priority and much detailed work has gone into reopening.
- The Wensleydale Railway has been awarded We’re Good To Go certification by the visit England tourism body for demonstrating our heritage railway has met the required competence level with Covid preparation and precautions to keep staff and the public safe.
- All trains and stations on the Wensleydale Railway are sprayed with long life anti-bacteria spray.
- Signage showing one-way systems, social distancing and mask wearing requirements are in place throughout the railway.
- All ticket and buffet sales areas have screens in place.
- Trains will be cleaned, wiped regularly throughout the day.
- All passengers have to wear face coverings on trains, in buildings and on platforms unless they are exempt.
- Hand sanitiser stations are in use at all stations.
- Social Distancing - Guests will stay at a safe 2 metre distance during all points of the tour. We also ensure that all staff members will be wearing the necessary protective equipment.
- Wellness Checks - Employees receive daily wellness checks to ensure they are healthy and symptom-free. If you or anyone in your group is experiencing symptoms, we will work directly with you to cancel or reschedule your trip.